A few weeks ago, the death of musical icon Prince sent shockwaves through fans around the world. But perhaps what was more shocking than his untimely death, was the revelation that he passed away without a will or proper estate plan in place.
Creating an estate plan isn’t something you do for your own benefit — it’s for the loved ones left behind.
And while most of us don’t have a net worth anywhere close to the estimated $300 million that Prince had, that doesn’t mean that our estate planning needs are any less important.
But where do you start? Today, we’re discussing what you need to structure in your life to ensure you have a solid estate plan in place.
In This Episode, You’ll Learn
- What document will control the majority of your financial assets
- The importance of beneficiary designations
- How to decide the amount of life insurance to purchase
- If you should have life insurance on a stay-at-home spouse
- What happens to your assets in the event of your death without a will
- If you should have a trust in your will
- Why having a healthcare directive is important
- How to save money working with an attorney for estate planning
Tune In and Go Beyond Common Sense with the Money Guys
We appreciate all the feedback we get, and we read every single email you send us. If you ever have any questions or concerns, you can always email brian [at] money-guy.com or bo [at] money-guy.com. And don’t forget to join the conversation on Facebook or connect on Twitter @MoneyGuyPodcast.
Did you enjoy our tips on estate planning? Then join our community, where you’ll get access to 15 of our most recent shows! As a bonus, you’ll get our podcasts delivered straight to your inbox so you can listen to them at your convenience.